Information about standards of NEMA 4X
There is a governing body which sets the industry standards for enclosures. NEMA which stands for National Electrical Manufacturers Association is the responsible body for setting these standards for electrical companies or any companies that requires the use of electrical enclosures. By setting these standards, they help different companies to choose which type of enclosure they should use for certain type of application. With this in mind, electrical equipment needed protection from certain elements or ingress of foreign materials such as: water, dust, dirt, or any hazardous environmental factors. NEMA imposes and publishes standards of enclosures suitable for any given type of application.
One of the mostly preferred and highly used enclosure is NEMA 4X for applications where there is a need for regular use of enclosures. NEMA 4X gives protection for electrical equipment from hazardous environments, especially if there is a presence of cleaning chemicals and high-water pressure wash downs. This enclosure can give your equipment the protection it needs by providing the following:
- Ingress protection from foreign solid objects or particles such as dirt & dust
- Protection from water ingress brought by high-pressure hose directed water, drippings, or splashing of any liquid or water
- Protection from damage caused by external ice formation
- Protection from corrosion caused by moist or any caustic chemicals
With this in mind, NEMA 4X can be used for these type of industries which requires above mentioned classification of protection:
- Brewery companies
- Marine offshore industries
- Food and beverage Companies
- Livestock processing Companies
- Electrical Companies
- Manufacturing Companies
The NEMA 4X enclosures can be manufactured using a wide variety of materials. But there are two most common materials used to manufacture NEMA 4X. These are: polycarbonate and stainless steel. Each of the material showcases different features. In deciding which of these materials you should use, it is recommended to not only check the features it has but to also see the environmental factors that may be present in your application and might affect your decision. The polycarbonate and stainless steel might have its pros and cons but you should be equipped with the right understanding which material will best suit your needs.
The polycarbonate steel has the following features:
- Corrosion resistance and protection: NEMA 4X enclosures made from polycarbonate steel have a higher corrosion protection and it makes it one of the best enclosures that provide corrosion resistance. They are ideally used in marine offshore applications where there is a requirement for consistent exposure to salt water and other components that causes corrosion.
- Lightweight steel: polycarbonate steels are lighter than other steels making it a great option for applications that requires lighter enclosures.
- WiFi friendly: Signals can pass through the polycarbonate steel making it a good enclosure to be used for electrical equipments which requires use of wifi signals.
- Cost-efficient: polycarbonate steels are cheaper compared to stainless steel.
Stainless steel is perfect for enclosures that requires durability and wear-resistance. It is one of the toughest metals and most durable. It offers different features for NEMA 4X enclosures:
- Resistance to high-temperatures: stainless steel can withstand high-temperature applications and can withstand any sudden changes in temperature within the environment.
- Easy maintenance: stainless steel enclosures are perfect for medical applications because it is considered to be a non-porous material and it can resist pathogens. Stainless steel enclosure can also be used in food & livestock manufacturing companies. It is safe for these type of applications.
- Durability: because of the durability of this material, it enables the enclosure to have a longer life and use.