Electrical Enclosures: What is NEMA 4?
Definition with General Reference Applications
Different industrial companies require different types of needs to protect their equipment from hazardous potential dangers such as extreme weather conditions and ingress of foreign objects. This requires an electrical enclosure that gives protection from the said industrial hazards. However, not all enclosures are the same because different requirements require the different level of protection. NEMA 4 electrical enclosures are one good example.
type 4 Level of Protection
All NEMA 4 enclosures give a different level of protection for electrical equipment. However, NEMA 4 is made from made from carbon steel and aluminum which don’t provide corrosion resistance. Moreover, It is important to note that this type of enclosure cannot be submerged in water and this requires a different type of enclosure. Stainless steel is widely used in manufacturing NEMA 4 electrical enclosure. (Type 4 doesn’t have the ability to protect from corrosion; therefore Stainless steel is used to produce NEMA 4X or NEMA 6P)
NEMA 4 General Features
This electrical enclosure provides protection for the following:
- Protection from moisture
NEMA 4 enclosures are required to be tight to prevent water ingress. But these enclosures cannot be submerged in water.
- Protection from ice formation
For applications where there is a need for protection from ice formation, NEMA 4 is the perfect fit for this type of need.
- Dust protection
Provide tight-sealed protection for electrical equipment from dust.
- Ingress of any foreign objects
Type 4 NEMA enclosures provide protection for the electrical equipment from foreign substances that may affect or damage the equipment.
- Protection for personnel using the electrical equipment
NEMA 4 enclosures provide protection for personnel using electrical equipment.
The general types of NEMA 4 Enclosures: Box and Cabinet Styles
- Indoor & Outdoor NEMA Floor Mounted Cabinets
- Indoor & Outdoor NEMA Wall Mounted Enclosures
- Electrical Wiring Boxes, Junction Boxes and Pull Boxes (Indoor & Outdoor)
- Electrical Wiring Trough Enclosures
- Custom Wall Mounted NEMA Rated Electrical Consoles
- Rugged Industrial Computer Cabinets
- Air Conditioned (AC) Cooled Indoor & Outdoor Enclosures